![]() |
| Contributor Day Attendees |
When I left my house in Quezon City early Thursday morning, my plan was simple: grab some free swag, see what the global WordPress hype was about, and avoid looking clueless around actual coders.
Let’s be honest: I am a newbie web programmer. I build websites using Gutenberg blocks, and sheer willpower. Show me a line of PHP code, and my brain shuts down faster than a site without a caching plugin. So heading south down Roxas Boulevard toward the iconic Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay for WordCamp Asia 2025, I had a massive case of imposter syndrome.
I was completely wrong to be worried. Here is what three wild days inside Asia’s biggest open-source event looked like through the eyes of a non-coding site builder.
Day 1: Contributor Day & Finding My Place Without PHP
| Wordcamp Asia 2025 Indoor Billboard |
I skipped the heavy development tables on Contributor Day because I didn't want to break core WordPress with my lack of PHP knowledge. Instead, I hung out around the Documentation and Translation teams.
That was my first big lesson: WordPress isn't just for developers. I met people from across Asia translating core features and writing user guides for beginners like me. By lunch, I bagged a couple of awesome stickers. I was officially part of the ecosystem!
Day 2: Main Conference & The No-Code Awakening
The vibe inside the PICC Meeting Rooms on Friday morning was electrifying. Walking through the massive hallway surrounded by over 1,800 delegates from all over the world was surreal.
I tailored my schedule to sessions focused on design systems, page performance, and business growth. Two major highlights stood out for a site builder:
- AI and Modern Workflows: Instead of talking about complex custom backend scripts, speakers shared how non-coders can leverage AI tools to build layouts faster and structure client content effortlessly.
- The "Solutions Spotlight" & Speed Builds: Watching creators race against the clock to build full, functional pages live on stage using modern block patterns gave me a ton of fresh ideas for my client projects.
Between sessions, I popped into the exhibition hall. I collected a few metal mugs, a bag of coffee beans and assorted freebies.
Day 3: Networking, Swag, and the Epic After Party
By Saturday, my fear of talking to "real" tech folks had completely disappeared. I had coffee with a site owner from India, discussed client pricing with an agency lead from Singapore, and realized that site builders like us are a massive part of why WordPress thrives.
We ended the event at the official After Party—a massive celebration filled with local music, great food (people were going crazy for the lechon), and endless photos.
What I Took Home (Besides a Bag Full of Cups and Tumblers)
Driving back north to Metro Manila on Saturday night, stuck in the usual traffic, I had a huge smile on my face.
I didn't learn PHP over the weekend, and that is completely fine. What I did gain was a renewed passion for web design, a toolkit full of efficiency hacks, and a deep appreciation for the global community. You don't need to write code to build amazing things on the web—you just need to show up and be willing to learn.
Mabuhay, WordCamp Asia! See you in Mumbai for 2026!
AI assistance (Grok, Gemini and DeepSeek ) was used to help draft and organize this blog post; the author takes full responsibility for the final content.

No comments:
Post a Comment